Friday 2 March 2007

4: The wonderful Ted Dewan!


One of the great pleasures of writing the Thomas Trew series has been the possibility of working with one of Britain's top illustrators, Ted Dewan. It's really exciting for me to see how Ted takes the characters and places from my books and makes them pop up into view at once with his marvellous, mischievous pictures! Every time I finish one of the Thomas Trew books, I can't wait to see what Ted is going to make of this new lot of characters, places and things!

Like, for instance, above, from the first book, here are the Mayors of Aspire, the most exquisite and rather snobby Lady Pandora and Mr Tamblin, with their car and chauffeur, Herne..and Thomas, of course!

Sometimes the pictures look exactly how I'd imagined they might look, other times I get a real surprise! But always a pleasant one! In fact, Ted's pictures are so imaginative and strong that I always end up thinking, 'That is exactly how that person/place should look like. However did he know?'

Born in the US and now resident in Britain, Ted has written and illustrated many picture books of his own, as well as illustrated books for other authors. He's won several prizes, including the Mother Goose Award and the Blue Peter Award, and he's also frequently published cartoons in the major British newspapers. He lives in Oxford with his wife Helen Cooper, who's also an author/illustrator, and their daughter Pandora (yes, isn't that a nice coincidence!)

I had the pleasure of meeting Ted in person when I was doing school visits in Oxford last year. It was wonderful to meet hi and not only see the originals of his fantastic pictures, but also to catch a quick peek at the next batch!

His website is at www.wormworks.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good day! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading through your articles.
Can you suggest anyy other blogs/websites/forums that go ober the same subjects?
Thanks a lot!

My site weight loss tips